Monday, September 6, 2010

Miette = Macarons!



I ate my lunch standing up today all within 5 minutes on my way to my meeting.
At around 3 PM, I realized I still have a full hour of lunch to use as I wish. And I need a "picker-upper." A little afternoon treat to cheer me up.

I decided to go to the Ferry Building and take a stroll until I find the "perfect little treat."

I passed by the mortadella sandwich at Boccalone. Nope, I wanted something sweet although it was tempting to have a second lunch.  I passed by Recchuiti but the salted caramels did not get me excited, or the gelatos at Ciao Bella. The Ferry Building had so much to offer to hungry foodies but I just could not find anything until......I spotted "Miette"!  Sugar-pink and pretty as a cookie house. The colorful pastries were cute as  buttons. Even without tasting anything, the mere sight of this cheerful little bakeshop is enough to put a secret smile to a "kid at heart."


I went to look at the pastries but with much hesitation. Previous experiences had left me disappointed like a little kid whose candy (or cookie) has been taken away from her. Why? Because I've had not so appetizing cookies from this bakeshop--dry, hard and not worth the goblin's gold that they charge for each sweet morsel.

I went ahead and decided on 3 macarons: Rose, Raspberry and Vanilla.


These pastel French cookies set me back $1.75 each. BUT this time, they were worth the pretty price tag. They were delicious and true to the flavors as advertised. The raspberry had enough tang, the rose had a hint of nice rosey flavor that was not overpowering. Even the vanilla was not very sweet.  They were good. And the most important thing, they were real macarons. How could I tell?  Because they have "feet." A macaron is not a macaron if it does not have "feet."


These pretty sweets did the trick. I went back to the office with my 3 macarons stashed in this cute pink Miette paperbag that the staff did not hesitate to give me upon request:


I will get my macarons from Miette in a heartbeat. I am not so sure if I can say the same thing about their other goodies.

(This review is dedicated to BEKS who might bake the next perfect macarons in the Bay Area. Check out her blog on her macaron-baking adventures: http://www.oobeksoo.blogspot.com/)

FOODIE GIRL'S RATING: 3.5 Good macarons but disappointingly dry cookies

Key:

0 Star: Never again!!! These people should not be in business.
1 Star: Chalk it to bad experience. Live and learn.
2 Stars: Very disappointing but there it has some good things to offer.
3 Stars: It is okay but do not expect much. I will still return.
4 Stars: I like it! I will be singing your praises!
5 Stars: I will be dreaming of you at night!
6 Stars: Perfection (or close to!)


Miette Cakes on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout! *blushes*

    Did you know Miette grinds their own almonds? I think thats why their shell has a nice, chewy texture. Their macarons are delicious. Rose is one of my favorites too. =P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...