Saturday, July 17, 2010

SR24: Flavor Explosion + Distracted Staff



 I developed a crush on SR24 as soon as we walked in. Being the new kid on the block, SR24 is an asset to the now trendy Temescal neighborhood. It is small but chic. It can probably hold less than 50 people at the most. The walls are painted in burgundy and on the ceilings are wrought iron chandeliers. It is fun to watch the kitchen staff prepare you food at the open kitchen.



And we did hit it off right away. The staff was pleasant, neighborly and very attentive. He suggested a very nice Argentinian chardonay for me I really really liked for its sweetness and being refreshing. ($5)

What made me decide to check out SR24 was the the PUMPKIN JOJO's. ($5) I love food with funny names. We enjoyed this appetizer of deep-fried, battered pumpkin strips seasoned with coarse seasalt. It was hot, fresh and the combination of the sweetness of the pumpkin, saltiness of the sea salt and spicy kick of the chili sauce were fun in the mouth.



I chose a DOUBLE-THICK PORK CHOP ($25). It came with arugula, peach and toasted pine nut salad. What a nice combination. And the pork chop was definitely generous that I had to take half home. One of the best I've had. Well-seasoned, juicy and thick. Perfect! Well-deserved 5 stars!


Now, my guy was very unhappy with his RIBEYE. For $35, this steak was thin and not the most tender. He gave me a bite and although not tough but we would have expected more for the price. As a comparison, we just had a filet mignon at Bobo's-- a steakhouse in SF. My guy's $40 bone-in filet mignon (for $5 more) was so much bigger, juicier, and so tender it was really a melt in our mouth experience.


Although he was jealous of my porkchop, we stil agreed that we like SR24--until our server disappeared and turned into a bartender after we got our food. 20 minutes after we finished our meal, we were drumming our fingers and waiting for the dessert menu. It is not often that I order a dessert at a restaurant but last night I really wanted to try those donuts! We were completely forgotten by our server that we flagged a different one to pay the bill. We were not offered the dessert menu. We left a little disappointed.

Oh, SR24, you had so much potential. You were declious. I love that you are cute, use seasonal ingredients and creative with your dishes. I love that you serve Acme bread. You got me a little tipsy with your refreshing wine. Apart from the overpriced steak, I thought you were affordable.

I really wanted to continue our relationship but why did you end up ignoring me? You and your staff work too hard. You probably need to hire more staff to help you can provide us the attention that we deserve.

Maybe a second date? Coz I really dig you. :(

Tab: $83 including tax, 18% tip, a glass of wine, an app and 2 entrees.


Foodie Girl's Ratings: 4 (Enjoyed it!)

Food:        4.5  So delicious!
Service:   3.0  Started out great but became non-existent.

SR24 on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. it would be nice to go with you in your food hopping :)

    here's something to accompany you: am passing to you THE VERSATILE BLOGGER AWARD...

    http://everythingsherbed.blogspot.com/2010/07/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I'll definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends.

    I'm sure they will be benefited from this site.

    Here is my web site ... where to find phen375

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...